Raw Hemp and Chia Seed Bars
Yield: 1500 g
- Ferment spelt levain and soak soaker: 8 hours
- Mix/autolyse final dough: 35 minutes
- First fermentation : 3 hours with folds at 1 and 2 hours
- Preshape, rest, and shape: 25 minutes
- Proof: about 2 hours
- Bake: about 40 minutes
Desired dough temperature: 22°C
Spelt Levain Ingredients:
- 115 g whole spelt flour
- 92 g water
- 23 g mature 100%-hydration sourdough starter
- 58 g whole spelt grains
- 58 g water
Final Dough Ingredients:
- 404 g flour
- 230 g whole spelt flour
- 432 g water
- 15.2 g (2.5 t.) salt
- All of the spelt levain
- All of the soaked spelt grains, drained
- 173 g toasted hemp seeds
- Combine the spelt levain ingredients in a medium bowl and mix until just combined. Cover and ferment overnight (about 8 hours).
- At the same time combine the soaker ingredients. Cover and soak overnight, then drain the grains of excess water.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a dough hook, mix the final dough flour, spelt flour, water, and spelt levain on low speed until just combined. Cover and let rest (autolyse) for 30 minutes.
- Add the salt and continue mixing on low or medium speed until the dough reaches a medium level of gluten development.
- Add the drained spelt grains and the hemp seeds and mix in low speed just until they are evenly incorporated.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled container. Cover and ferment for 3 hours, with folds after the first and second hours.
- Turn the dough into a lightly floured counter. Divide into 250-gram (for small boules) or 500–750-gram pieces. Preshape them into balls and let rest, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Shape the dough into boules or batards and place them, seam-side-up, into a floured couche or linen-lined baskets.
- Proof at room temperature, covered, for about 2 hours, or until a finger pressed into the dough leaves an indentation that recovers very slowly. If your oven is not big enough to bake all the loaves at once, proof at room temperature for an hour and 15 minutes, then refrigerate.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven, with baking stone, to 475F. You will also need steam during the initial phase of baking, so prepare for this now.
- Just before baking, slash the loaves as you like. A single circular slash around the loaf near the top works well for boules you wish to use as bowls.
- Once the loaves are in the oven, reduce the temperature to 450F. Bake for 8 minutes with steam, and another 20–30 minutes (depending on the size of the loaves) without steam, until the crust is a deep golden brown. Then turn off the oven and leave the loaves in for another 10 minutes, with the door ajar.
- Cool on a wire rack.